OPEN CALL – Jyotsna Bhatt Ceramics Award, 2021
The Jyotsna Bhatt Ceramics Award has been set up by Gallery Ark with the support of Rubamin Foundation to platform, encourage and create dialogue around compelling Indian art practices focused in the medium of ceramics. The award is established in loving memory of Jyotsna Bhatt, to celebrate her legacy as India’s foremost ceramic artists and a pillar of the arts community in Baroda. Jyotsna ben, as we fondly remember her , was a great friend and mentor to us at Gallery Ark and countless young art students over the years.
Jyotsna Bhatt studied sculpture under Prof. Sankho Chaudhuri at the M.S. University of Baroda and later ceramics at the Brooklyn Museum Art School, USA. She headed the Department of Ceramics at the M.S. University until her retirement in 2002. In a vibrant career spanning over fifty years, her work travelled to exhibitions all over the world; Jyotsna Bhatt was always a dynamic part of art studios and workshops, leaving an impact with her energy and quiet elegance.
The open call will be announced every year on March 6, to commemorate Jyotsna Bhatt’s birthday.
The recipient of the award will receive a total sum of INR. 3 Lakhs, to be utilized towards the project outlined in their application. Upon completion, they will be invited to showcase the project, artworks, or deliver a presentation of the same at Gallery Ark in Baroda. The recipient will also be required to share a comprehensive report, as outlined below, and documented images of the project upon completion.
- The open call and application guidelines will be available on March 06, 2021.
- Applications must be submitted by April 15, 2021.
- Applications will be reviewed by a jury of three members.
- The awardee will be announced by April 30, 2021.
- Applicants must be bonafide Indian citizens with an existing practice in the area of ceramics.
- Applicants must show dedication to the field of ceramics by way of years in practice, nature of ideas, or compelling volition to explore the medium
- Applicants must not be a current recipient of any other grant, award, or scholarship that provides monetary assistance while applying for the Jyotsna Bhatt Ceramics Award.
- Applicants will be chosen on the basis of merit, the quality and quantity of past work and dedication to ceramics in their practice, and caliber of proposed project in terms of contribution, imagination, expertise, and/or strength of nature deemed by the jury.
- Applicants must submit the complete application with the following details in a single PDF file (not more than 25 MB and the applicant’s full name as the file name) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 11:59 PM IST on April 15, 2021. The subject line of the email should be in the following format: Applicant’s Name_Application_Jyotsna Bhatt Ceramics Award.
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae, and other notable achievements in the field of ceramic art
- A motivation letter (400 words) explaining your interest.
- A portfolio of 5-10 projects / artworks executed within the last 5 years, supported with images and brief texts (250 words).
- A proposal explaining the way in which the award money will be used, its outcomes and the relation to the artistic practice. Conceptual, formal, and contextual characteristics of the work or project proposed will be taken into consideration.
- The project must have the intention of being presented in the public domain at the end of the award period and the applicants are encouraged to reflect upon the nature of public spaces and importance of the virtual or digital in furthering the scope and reach of the project.
Incomplete applications or applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
For any additional details or queries, write to email@example.com.